Monday, October 8, 2012

Point Perpendicular

Had an amazing weekend down the South Coast with awesome people!

Thursday was relatively boring, I went to the supermarket to stock up for weekend camping! Prepared my camping dinners and lunches for the weekend also!

Friday, had a good long sleep, had spring rolls for lunch and red rooster for early dinner before heading out to Penrith station to meet with Ben (Jenga) and Rob! About a 3-3.5 hour drive down to Callala Bay and shared some great stories during the ride. Went to the bottle-o and Ben had a stack walking out of the store, dropping the beer! Stopped by Maccas so Ben could have dinner and I had a double cheeseburger because I knew the smell would make me go crazy. We got to Jake's house and wondered around near the wharf for a while because he wasn't home. Came back and met Matt, a guy from the UK! Watched a climbing movie to pass some time, and later in the night, Leith from Newcastle, who was quickly nicknamed 'Snacks' arrived and we headed to bed, hoping for the best weather. We stayed at Jake's place for the night, rather than camping.

Saturday, woke up around 8am, to lousy rain, no! Had a new person in the house, her name was Ashleigh and was a friend of Jakes! Had fruit/fruit juice and a cheese and bacon roll for breakfast, and decided on 'South Central' in Nowra to climb away from the rain. Basically, tough, powerful moves on steep, slick rock. Did a few short, powerful routes; but I'm too lazy to put them in detail here! I keep a record of the climbs I do on TheCrag. While there, more people came, including another Matt (Monster) and Dana, his girlfriend. Looked awfully familiar, just like a person two grades above me at Penrith. Will, Doug, Louie and Tom turned up and there were draws all over the wall! I worked a hard route for a while, but didn't get it, and we moved over to Mortein Wall and Rosies Wall when the rain stopped, and I was so close to getting 'Fist Full of Steel' which was my favourite climb of the day, I fell off at the last move! Climbing commitment issues... A great day of climbing with great people! We left after sunset, as it was getting dark and decided to have dinner at the local pub where I absolutely destroyed a T-Bone steak, mmm. The rain at this point was absolutely crazy and the wind was so strong. Jake offered to let us stay at his place for the night, instead of letting us camp out (which would have been at Honeymoon Bay). Went to Woolies to grab dessert, and back to Jake's place! We all went to bed earlier, knowing the weather would clear for a long day at Point Perpendicular!

Sunday, stupid daylight savings, alarm went off at 6am (so basically, 5am) and I had the same breakfast, was really cold and tired, but I was looking forward to The Point. Got there first with Ben and Rob, while Snacks and Matt were still eating. Set up a rappel for our first section of climbs on Wind Jammer wall. I walked around soaking in the view, taking a few pictures before the others arrived. People arrived in bunches over the next hour or so! It was frighteningly cold in the shade, but the sun made it bearable. The wind was absolutely incredible and caused gigantic waves! Seconded my first two full trad climbs on Man Overboard and Grey Mist, classics! I removed so much gear from Grey Mist, cleaning both Snacks placed gear and Rick's pre-placed gear from earlier. Made the top out pretty difficult, and it happened to be the crux too! We walked to the Lighthouse area, called Bayside Upper and I did a mega classic climb called 'Hello Dolly' which I got an awesome photo out of! (I didn't even know he was there) I was too absorbed by the environment, the view, the climb, the exposure. Afterwards, I seconded 'Sympatico' which was also a really lovely climb to end the day. There's no time for all the specifics of both days, but all in all, it was another amazing day, to end an amazing weekend, with the most amazing people! Said our goodbyes and we headed back home right afterwards, another 3.5 hour drive, and had dinner at Maccas again, it's climbers fuel, seriously! Ben dropped me and Rob off at Penrith and we headed home! I was absolutely nackered, I had some instant noodles when I got home, I was craving it since Matt had it for breakfast in the morning! Hibernated.

Today, I pretty much just rested, didn't do much, it's my mum's birthday today! Happy birthday to my mum :) We had pizza for lunch!

Giant photo montage time!
Amazing photo taken by Simon Wills of me on 'Hello Dolly'
South Central
First photo at the Point
Looking North
South, with Rob and Ben
Wind Jammer Wall
Crushing Waves
More Waves!
Snacks and Marek, right after finishing Man Overboard
Dana preparing to rappel down
Simon, the photographer
Rick leading Grey Mist
Snacks and Matt after finishing Grey Mist
My rack after seconding Grey Mist
Other Side
After Sympatico
EOD Silhouette  

No comments:

Post a Comment