Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Summary: 2013 Pt 2

The second part of this summary can be for June and July.
It will be centred around my two trips to Thredbo this year.

Should have more detail and substance compared to my last post; I mean, could barely recall those memories.


For the whole duration of June, all I could really think about was going down to Thredbo, and having a great time on the snow. It's always one of the best times of the year, especially since I love the cold, and skiing is a passion of mine! I packed all my gear ridiculously early, kept wearing my ski boots and skis; and bought some Helly Hanson ski pants/bib; which I got for such a great deal!! Something like $99, down from $300?

Volkl AC20, Nordica Hot Rod 75, Kerma Pro Carbon

Trip 1
So, the first annual snow trip for me included these lovely people! (and Sid too)
Kidding brother, love ya! He came down from Darwin for this trip with us, it also coincided perfectly with his birthday; 29th June.

Me, Idris K, Thanjon M, Siddharth S, Rachel M, Emanuel S, Laura F and Caitlin B.

We all went through OzSnowAdventures, and departed on the 24th at 6pm from Central station. Thanjon, Sid and I opted for the six day trip, while the others only stayed for three. Chris was our bus driver and Rhys was our tour guide. When we went on this trip last year (Caitlin, Loretta, Eman, Thanjon and I), our bus driver was actually Rhys, and he still remembered us! Or at least, that's what he said to us...

The snow wasn't the best, but that's what you should expect from Australian snow. We were relying on cold nights for snowfall; however, during a couple of the days, the snow was just hard pack. There was one very cold day, with a little bit of rain (and snow); however, we found that this had softened up the base just right, and it was one of the best days on the slopes we had!

The nights were, eventful, to say the least! Spending time either the bar, having a feed, drink and playing pool; or something back in our overly congested room. State of Origin was on Wednesday night, tensions were definitely high in the bar. I believe we (NSW) lost that game. Sid did get obnoxiously drunk one night, I was legitimately, going to murder him.

All the days seem to blur together as I recollect it, but they were all great days, and great nights. I remember having the worst pains in my shins ever. I was wearing my new ski boots for the first time, and they gave me EXTREME shinbang, that I could not enjoy skiing anymore :( I loathed skiing, and I envied snowboarders in their comfy boots. Freaken thanjon.

Decided to hire a snowboard and I spent the last three days learning to snowboard, repeatedly falling on my ass, or on my face. Sid also hired for one day; so we miserably failed together as Thanjon laughed heartily. He did go back to skiing the next day, so he could continue his crazy antics! On the last two days (or was it three), my cousin Michael, Khoi and friend Joseph came up and also shredded up at Thredbo. First time for Joseph, who tried snowboarding; hope he enjoyed it! 

On the last day, we had a little hiccup with our tickets; as they were actually 5.5 day tickets; so they would no longer function by 1pm. Thanjon and I visited the Thredbo office to try and sort the rest of the day out, as we wanted to be on the slopes all day. Sid had gone of to the lockers to sort out his things for the day ahead. We were told that our tickets were actually only 5 day tickets, and no longer functioned today. Thanjon said whatever, paid for a day pass for the day. It was a ridiculous amount of money, somewhere around the $100 mark. I was going to pay before I realised I didn't have money in my transaction account, so I waited for a while. Thanjon had left to go enjoy his ticket, spending so much on it.

Sid and I weren't happy to pay extra, and talked to Rhys. We tested our tickets at the lift, and voila, they worked. Rhys also mentioned that we should just talk to the tour guides for the half day pass, as they would give us their passes. Great. Thanjon also bought a ridiculous amount of things from the Thredbo shop over the six days, his poor wallet.

The bus back was with Jackson and Rob; as our guide and driver, respectively. They were absolutely great people. We had gotten to know them over the past three days as our new guide/driver; and the trip back was full of laughs and stories.

Day 1, going up Cruiser Chairlift.
Lake Jindabyne in the morning.
Michael, the baby sitter.

By the end of the six days, we were thoroughly smashed; from the long days on the slopes; and the long nights back at the resort. All in all, it was a great trip. Great people and great times. It was good to be back in my bed.
Cruiser Chairlift. A bluebird day. :)


So Sid still had a few days with us in Sydney; we went to Burwood on the 3rd, where the dormant Fletcher had actually joined us as well! As always, we ate at Canton Noodle House and climbed trees in the park. The next few days involved going through GoPro footage, going to work again; and yes, dreaming about the snow. I visited a ski boot fitter in Bondi, and had my boots altered to fit me better; and so they wouldn't be agonising to wear.

Remember that Fletcher is tall as hell.

Trip 2

So, on July 15th at 6pm, Thanjon and I embarked on another Oz Snow Adventures bus to go to Thredbo, once again. Our bus driver and tour guide? Chris and Rhys. This time, we would only go for three days; as Thanjon needed to go back to Armidale for his studies. This time, instead of an overly cramped room, we had a room of 8 beds to ourselves. We also met some great girls that turned out to live somewhat close to us back in Sydney. Jade, Annie and Sophia.

When Jade actually added me on Facebook, we had a mutual friend as well; James Coomer, one of my good climbing friends. Small world, huh? The snow was good on the first day, and slowly deteriorated. There was a terrain park set up on High Noon with big jumps, and rails; we spent most of our time passing through there. My boots, fit amazingly; and this time, I didn't feel any pain. (Apart from stacking it over and over on the jumps) I don't think I ever took off my helmet these three days, due to the things we were doing.

Speaking of small worlds, one morning, I needed to buy internet on the computer at the River Inn, so I could select my timetable for the semester; I bumped into a woman and her son at the reception. I overheard them talking about coming from 'all the way from Western Sydney, ever heard of Penrith?'

I told them that I lived near Penrith, the son turns around the says that he's seen me working at The Climbing Centre; the mother turns around and says she remembers me too, and they had a party there about two weeks or so ago; small world. The receptionist ended up giving me a passcode for the internet for free, score! I managed to get all my classes as well, awesome.

Top of Karel's T-Bar

High Noon
The two beautiful weather presenters, Emily and Lulu.
One of the girls that worked at the resort; forgot her name. Sid loved her, so we had to get a photo to spite him.

So this trip with Thanjon, despite the horrible snow on the last day; was still great. Started the trip with less people than last time, but made up for it with some new friends. The feeling of being away from the city life, away from traffic, pollution; and just being in nature, shredding snow on the mountain slopes; just unbeatable. 

Just makes you feel... free.

Next instalment, I'll finish off July and continue through to October.

No comments:

Post a Comment